Monday, July 24, 2006

Blast from the Past!

Over the week-end I had the great joy of making contact with an old Army buddy who I had not seen or spoken with in almost 30 years (1st Cav Div, Ft. Hood Texas 1973-'76). Bill Kelly remembered our family business name, found my brother through the internet and provided his phone number. We talked for two hours Sunday. It was great to hear his voice and exchange stories about where we have been and what we've done over the past three decades.

Oddly enough, Bill describes himself as a liberal Democrat and I am clearly not a liberal Democrat, yet we are not that far apart on our feelings about the war in Iraq and other world affairs. Bill served in Desert Storm and lived in Europe for many years, so I am guessing liberals who actually have some experience out in the world have more sense. At least it's good to know it is possible to be a Democrat and not be a totally partisan loon with no tolerance for opposition.

If you have old friends who were important to you, consider tracking them down. Hooking up with my best buddy from Ft. Hood after all this time was a real pleasure and has lifted my spirits.

- Alan

1 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your brother must be a pretty good guy to hook you up with your old pal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home