Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Year's Ago Today.


Where were you and what are you doing about it?

I was working in Amsterdam for a couple of weeks. I came up to my hotel room from a meeting and saw on the cable news that the first tower had been struck by an aircraft. At that point Steve Bayes, my suitemate, and I speculated about what had occurred. Like many, we initially thought it might have been an accident. Steve was working on his computer as I watched the live coverage from New York. Then I saw the second plane hit the other tower and said to Steve, "This is no accident. A second plane just hit the other tower." Then we knew our world had changed forever. I am still angry and want to get involved in the fight, but I am too old to participate directly. However, my oldest son is signing up with the US Marines today, 9/11/2006. He was sixteen in 2001 and has grown to manhood with this terrible event in his mind. He realizes that we are at war with people who are serious about killing us all. He, like his brother who just graduated from boot camp, will not sit on the sidelines and let others fight this fight for him.- Alan Stewart, Studio City, CA

1 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a call from someone who heard about it on the radio. I drove home from my office right away and watched as the second one hit. I could not work for the remanider of the day and stayed glued to the TV.

I am proud for your sons decisions and hope that you will not worry too much. I have wondered if they could use us old guys in some way, in some capacity. This battle should not rest totally on the shoulders of only our youngest and brightest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home